Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

I'm part Hungarian and Ive never really got to the roots of my families cooking until 5 years ago when we visited my Grandpa and Grandma Veselko in California. My Grandma is an amazing cook and she prepared us the most wonderful Hungarian Paprikas complete with homemade noodles (it was incredible to watch her make these little dumpling like noodles). Grandma showed me step by step how to make this meal and gave me her Hungarian cookbook that she was given so I could make this Hungarian dish and others.

When we returned home I eagerly tried and failed to replicate her delicious and tender chicken dish and scrumptious noodles. My chicken was rubbery and tasteless and the noodles, well lets just say they made me cry they were so bad. I gave up for a whole year. I ignored the pretty red cookbook that my Grandma had so lovingly blessed me with. On occasion I would open the book and read the recipes and then remember my failure and put it back yet again.

One day I was left with several pounds of mushrooms that really needed to be cooked up in a hurry. I remembered that the little red cookbook had a few recipes with mushrooms in them. I picked it up came across this soup and it was love at first bite, even though the combo of onions, mushrooms, paprika, dill and lemon juice did not sound like they would produce a good soup. My kids and husband gobbled it up. Ive yet to master the Paprikas, but I got another hands on lesson from my Grandma when we went to visit them in May. I may give that a shot again sometime soon.



Hungarian Mushroom Soup

6 medium yellow onions - I like using the sweet ones
4 - 8 oz boxes baby bella mushrooms (dont get the sliced ones, and white mushrooms dont taste as good in this soup)
3/4 cup cup butter divided
2 Tbs. dried dill weed
4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika - Ive found Hungarian paprika at Target (sold by Archer Farms), Hungarian paprika tastes different
8 cups chicken broth
4 cups whole milk
4 Tbs soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos instead)
3/4 cup flour
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
2 cups sour cream
1 Tbs dried parsley
pepper to taste

In a kettle saute the onions in 1/2 cup butter until really limp and translucent, the longer you cook them the more amazing this soup will taste (the last time I made this soup I did not saute them as long as I normally do and I was disappointed, you want the onions to melt in your mouth). Remove the onions with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Remove stems of mushrooms, cut in half and slice to a medium thinness. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until well browned and limp. Mix the onions, dill, paprika and chicken broth. Simmer for 15 minutes. With a hand blender mix the milk, soy sauce and flour together until smooth and lump free (I use an immersion blender). Slowly add the milk mixture to the soup base, stirring the whole time. Cook stirring, for another 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to mix well. You can serve it immediately or simmer it a little longer, but you need to stir it constantly if you do so the bottom does not get scalded. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Potvin Crew said...

This sounds yummy to me, Michelle... but, sadly, my husband does not share the same sentiment when it comes to mushrooms. He doesn't know what he's missing. Maybe someday...
Hugs, Grace